Quality Assurance and Compliance Manager
Posted on 04/09/18
Position: Quality Assurance and Compliance Manager
Reports To: Plant Manager
Base Location: MSF HQ Petaluma
The overarching responsibilities for this position will be to manage all compliance requirements with third-parties (examples include, but are not limited to, the United States Department of Agriculture, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and the National Organic Program) and work in tandem with the fulfillment and slaughter departments to ensure the highest quality of processing for our meat products. The goal of this position is to ensure Marin Sun Farms’ continued compliance with the number of organizations by whom we are regulated and/or programs in which we are enrolled, while maintaining appropriate work flow for our organization and peak production quality. The person who fills this position will be expected to excel in a number of areas – from technical data collection and reporting and suggesting recommendations based on findings and research to upper management, to communicating and enforcing compliance requirements for crews of processing employees.
Please understand that Marin Sun Farms is a small and dynamic business and all employees wear multiple hats. You will also be expected to cross-train with other team members to act as backup if someone is out of the office and new responsibilities may be given to you as your workload permits
- Conduct and supervise internal quality assurance audits in accordance with company standards and good manufacturing practices.
- Implement and monitor corrective actions as needed.
- Oversee all product sampling in accordance with company policies and federal standards.
- Support HACCP program as it relates to testing, monitoring, and product processes.
- Support key departments by supplying, recommending, and enforcing regulatory information, technical data, and expertise.
- Support company Safety Program, OSHA, and other regulatory requirements, such as equipment training, safety training and monitoring.
- Identify critical risk points within your departmental umbrella and implement risk mitigating programs and/or create back up or emergency protocols.
- Conduct training sessions for facility personnel as needed.
- Supervise certifications for third-party audits and programs.
- Manage the flow of technical data including labeling information, testing results, product formulations and samples.
- Handle all correspondence with the regulatory agencies and is the company point of contact.
- Supervise all aspects of product to be exported.
- Report departmental performance and program implementation as required.
- Identify, Monitor, and Report on key quality assurance performance indicators.
- Cross-train with other team members to ensure resiliency in the company in the event of staff being out of the office.
- Build successful working relationships with key managers and staff.
- Be prepared for dynamic job responsibilities, as we are a small and growing company.
SKILLS, SPECIFICATIONS, AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Qualified candidates will have a thorough knowledge of meat processing, USDA regulatory requirements, and quality control management.
- Management Experience: 3+ years
- Meat Industry Experience: 5+ years
- Slaughter experience is a plus
- USDA processing facility experience is a requirement
- Regulatory Agency Experience: USDA, CDFA
- Third Party Audit Experience: SQF, FCI, RSA, or the equivalent
- Third Party Certification Experience: Certified Organic, Animal Welfare Approved, humane handling, Non-GMO Project Verification
- HACCP Certified
- Bachelor’s degree in Meat Science, Food Science or related field
- Excellent managerial and organizational skills
- Self-motivated and able to self-manage
- Ability to communicate effectively with others across multiple platforms
- Able to efficiently and effectively handle shifting and multiple priorities
- Strong skill and competency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Competency with VistaTrac, Salesforce, and QuickBooks is a plus
- Ability to learn various data management systems
- Willingness to continue to learn new skills required to be successful
- Punctual and reliable
- Team player with a positive attitude
- Keen attention to detail and record keeping
- Available to work all hours as needed
ABOUT MARIN SUN FARMS
At Marin Sun Farms our goal is to participate in creating a more sustainable food model and inspire an agrarian culture that conserves our landscapes, supports the health of its inhabitants and restores the vitality of a region that has thrived for hundreds of years. To accomplish this, we focus on the production of local, grass fed, pasture-based food to nurture our Bay Area communities and families. We sell our branded beef, pork, lamb, goat, poultry and eggs into the marketplace to accounts throughout California.